September 7, 1925: "Erection of the new forest fire observation tower located on the farm of Mrs. Laura Taylor in Victory township, one-half mile from Springville and eight miles from Franklin, has practically been completed. The tower, made of galvanized steel is 65 feet high and stands in the center of the woods on the Taylor farm and can be seen from the top of the Victory hill or from points along the Pittsburg road for many miles in both directions. The tower can be reached by a dirt road which leads to the west from the Pittsburg highway at Springville." (Derrick)
April 12, 1926: "Byron Blair, manning the new Victory fire tower, 10 miles south, discovered the first forest fire Venango county has had this season, and a group of Pennsylvania Railroad men today had the blaze under control. Woods near Dotter, north of Emienton, caught fire and a score of acres were burned before the flames were checked." (New Castle News)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - VICTORY PID - MA2087 STATE/COUNTY- PA/VENANGO COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - POLK (1989)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1935 (JB)
STATION IS LOCATED ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF A WOODED HILL, ON PECAN
HILL ABOUT 8 MILES BY ROAD SOUTHWEST OF FRANKLIN ALONG STATE
HIGHWAY 8, 11.461 METERS (37.60 FEET) EAST OF REFERENCE MARK NO. 2,
WHICH IS DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH THE STATE FOREST FIRE TOWER, AND 16
PACES SOUTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE LOOP IN THE ROAD LEADING TO THE
FIRE TOWER. STATION MARK, NOTES 1A AND 7A, PROJECTS 5 INCHES.
TO REACH FROM FRANKLIN, FROM THE TRAFFIC LIGHT AT THE EXCHANGE HOTEL
AND THE LAMBERTON BANK, GO SOUTH ON STATE HIGHWAY 8 FOR 7.5 MILES TO
A DIRT ROAD FORKING LEFT (SOUTHEAST) AT THE SPRINGVILLE POST OFFICE.
BEAR LEFT ON DIRT ROAD FOR 0.4 MILE TO GATE ENTRANCE TO FIRE
LOOKOUT CLEARING. TURN RIGHT THROUGH GATE AND GO 0.1 MILE TO THE
FIRE TOWER AND STATION.