1922: A steel lookout tower was erected. (Biennial Report - The Department of Conservation - 1922)
June 1, 1928: "Three new fire towers have been placed in service this spring. All are located in the Upper Peninsula, one near Watersmeet, a second north of Marquette near the famous Hairpin Curve and the third is north and west of Rapid River. All are the enclosed type, the latest in efficient fire prevention service. Visitors are welcome at the towers. The Department is pleased to have tourists pay a visit although it stipulates that those who choose to climb the towers do so at their own risk. A register is provided in each tower so that an accurate check of the number of visitors may be had at the end of the season. The new tower, with an enclosed ladder, removes some of the hazards of climbing. Landings are provided at regular intervals, thus affording a place for the climber to rest. The enclosed stairway also forbids the climber the hazardous pastime of looking at the distance he may be from the ground." (The Bessemer Herald)
November 25, 1971: "Bids for the removal of ten fire towers have been sent out to interested parties, according to an announcement by Joseph Harn, Supervisor of the Ottawa National forest. Watersmeet lookout in the Kenton District" (The Wakefield News)
2008: The tower was purchased by a private party and removed.