Windham County Molly Stark State Forest Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation
1930: An eight sided wooden cab on a round pole tower was constructed by the Division of Forestry.
June 1938: "Installed two public picnic units--table and fireplace. Painted tower and camp. Installed map table and new fire finder map." (Fire Control Work, During period July 1, 1936, to June 30, 1938, "Report of the Department of Conservation and Development" State of Vermont)
1947-1948: "New porch built and cabin painted. Cabin wired for electricity. Tower roof painted. Eight new tower braces installed and stairs and landing repaired." (Vermont Forest Service Biennial Report)
1949: The steel tower with 7x7 cab was moved from Bald Mountain.
1949 - 1950: "Wooden tower taken down. Cabin of wooden tower rebuilt on ground for store house. Steel tower from Bald Mt. erected on new base. New spring located and dug. Cabin painted inside. Cabin porch and walk rebuilt. New cook stove installed." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1951 - 1952: "New metal eavestroughs installed." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1953 - 1954: "A mile of new standard telephone wire was installed to replaced substandard wire. Telephone right-of-way has been sprayed with brush killer. The State Police have made their unused radio building available to the lookout for storage." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1959 - 1960: New aluminum roof was put on the cabin. (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
November 5, 1965: "Philip Pratt of Pownal returned home Wednesday after serving as fire tower lookout on Mount Olga for the state Forestry Service. Pratt mounted the tower April 23, it was his first season as fire watcher. He said he had as many as 50 people on weekend days, mostly city folks who hiked up the long route from Molly Stark State Park at the foot of Olga." (Bennington Banner)
July 26, 1966: "Bob Reed of Nanuet, N.Y. this year's lookout at Mt. Olga's fire tower, reports that to date about 650 visitors have climbed the mountain, including 63 from the Spofford Lake (N.H.) Evangelist Free Church Camp." (Bennington Banner)
1969 - 1970: "In 1969, a new cabin was built on Mt. Olga similar to the one built on Mt. Cushman in the spring of 1968. Electric power became available on this mountain when the New England Electric System leased a portion of the mountain top for a microwave relay station and installed about a mile of power line." (Biennial Report of the Department of Forests and Parks)
April 26, 1971: "All over the state, dedicated men and women who spent spring, summer and fall on top of a lookout tower watching over our Green Mountains, are on the job again. Willard Brittain of St. Petersburg, Fla., informed Charles Dearcopp of Searsburg and all other area forest fire wardens, that he is back on Mt. Olga, where he has been seasonally stationed, with one exception, since 1965. Although there is still snow on the ground in many places it won't be long before a discarded cigarette or hot match or a neglected camp fire, can set our forests afire. So it's not too early to think about supporting the fire watchers in their towers and the wardens in the valleys by helping to avoid fires and keeping Vermont green." (Bennington Banner)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - MT OLGA LOOKOUT TOWER PID - MZ1918 STATE/COUNTY- VT/WINDHAM COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - JACKSONVILLE (1987)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (GWL) THE STATION IS THE MT. OLGA LOOKOUT TOWER, A FOUR-LEGGED WOODEN STRUCTURE WITH A GLASS-ENCLOSED CAB ON TOP, OVERALL HEIGHT ABOUT 60 FEET. IT IS LOCATED ON HOGBACK MOUNTAIN ABOUT 4 MILES E OF WILMINGTON.
THE TRAVERSE CONNECTION WAS MADE TO THE CENTER OF THE BASE OF THE LOOKOUT TOWER.
TO REACH FROM THE TRAFFIC LIGHT IN WILMINGTON GO E ON U.S. HIGHWAY 9 FOR 5.1 MILES TO THE TOP OF HOGBACK MOUNTAIN AND A SIGN ON THE RIGHT MT. OLGA FIRE TOWER. FROM HERE A FOOT TRAIL LEADS TO THE TOWER, ABOUT A 10-MINUTE WALK.