An unimproved observation point established prior to 1918.
October 26, 1922: "The new automobile road in Latimore township leading from the Whiskey Spring road to the site of the new fire tower to be erected on Long mountain is completed." (New Oxford Item)
July 17, 1931: "The manager of this musical organization is Henry C. Sheaffer, of Dillsburg R.D. 1. Some of the members have been playing the fiddle for fifty years. Mr. Sheaffer at present is a forest fire warden, a position he has filled for forty years. Before the days of towers and telephones Mr. Sheaffer blew into a large sea shell, and the blast called his neighbors together to help extinguish forest fires. Fire Warden Sheaffer is observer on the Long Mountain Tower in the Michaux Forest district." (The Evening News)
May 8, 1933: "Things are popping now in the mountains now and naturalists are invited to Long Mountain Fire Tower No. 2, South of Boiling Springs. Henry C. Sheaffer, whose Long Mountain Old Time Orchestra is making a name for itself, is towerman and doing the inviting. Henry had sixty-nine visitors Sunday, April 23--was too busy over last weekend watching three mountain fires that he was unable to count his visitors." (Harrisburg Telegraph)