1916: "Satisfactory arrangements could not be made for the operation of Ohmer Mountain station in Saratoga county, and plans are being made to erect a steel tower and equip a new station on Hadley mountain." (State of New York Conservation Commission 6th Annual Report)
1917: "Seven new cabins were built for observers on mountain stations to replace buildings which had deteriorated and were unfit for further use, one placed on Hadley Mountain." (Seventh Annual Report of the Conservation Commission)
April 27, 1954: "It's a tough climb to the top of 2,665-foot high Hadley Mountain in Saratoga County, but the panoramic view of the Adirondacks and Sacandaga Valley, plus a chance to visit the fire tower, make it well worth the effort. Manning the lofty steel fire tower one of the oldest in the state, is 58-year-old Pete Burnham of the Town of Hadley whose job is to keep a constant vigil for fires throughout this densely wooded domain. Last season, Pete spotted close to 50 fires which he reports by phone and radio from the fire tower to the nearest fire ranger and other towers in the area." - by Fred Fraser (The Times Record)
1996: Restoration of the tower was completed and once again staffed.
NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (KBJ) THE STATION IS LOCATED IN HADLEY TOWNSHIP, ABOUT 6.5 MILES W AND 4 MILES N OF THE HADLEY POST OFFICE, ON THE SUMMIT OF THE W MOUNTAIN OF THE HADLEY MOUNTAIN. IT IS A 4-LEGGED STEEL STRUCTURE THAT IS 47.5 FEET HIGH WITH A GLASS ENCLOSED CAB. THE APEX OF THE ROOF WAS THE POINT OBSERVED.
TO REACH THE FIRE TOWER FROM THE HADLEY POST OFFICE, GO N FOR 3.2 MILES TO A T ROAD LEFT AND A SIGN HADLEY HILL, TURN LEFT AND GO 2.8 MILES TO A T ROAD RIGHT, CONTINUE STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR 1.7 MILES TO A T ROAD RIGHT, TURN RIGHT AND GO 1.45 MILES TO THE HADLEY MOUNTAIN OBSERVATORY SIGN ON THE LEFT AND THE END OF TRUCK TRAVEL. HERE PACK IN A NORTHERLY DIRECTION ON A WELL DEFINED TRAIL FOR ABOUT 2 MILES TO THE SUMMIT OF MOUNTAIN AND THE FIRE TOWER AS DESCRIBED.
A TRAVERSE CONNECTION WAS MADE FROM TRIANGULATION STATION WELLS PK. (U.S.G.S.)