May 5, 1927: "A question as to the probable erection of a Fire Tower for forest protection in the town of Truro or Wellfleet in the near future, elicited the assurance that undoubtedly another year would see such a tower placed, but that this section was one of several which still remain without proper protection in our Commonwealth." (Hyannis Patriot)
July 16, 1927: "At the time of the Truro Fire, April 19th, 20th and 21st, State officials did not think a State Fire Tower could be managed for the better protection of the lower Cape until 1928 at earliest date. However, state workmen have the past week completed the cement foundation and posts for a 20 foot square steel tower to be erected directly after the Fourth of July, and to be done in August, which is located about 50 feet in from the State Highway line in the South Wellfleet section of Wellfleet, at the crest of a hill between Spring Valley Road and so-called Hinckley's Corner, on the west side of the road. It is told us by those 'in the know' that already definite plans have been perfected for watchman, the land purchased of private party, and all things going forward in a speedy manner to have the tower done and in operation and the public invited to climb its 70 feet height, before the summer ends thereby gaining one of the finest views of the Cape from a point where the Shoot Flying Hill towerman's view at Barnstable ends in this direction down the Cape. The lot where the tower is to be erected is also to be beautified by setting out of trees and other grading and re-foresting to make the spot both attractive and useful. As it is easy of access and right in the public way it will no doubt be visited by many tourists who will mark the progress being made in this section and give them set on thought as they motor along of the 'safety first' idea so much neglected but so much talked of everywhere." (Hyannis Patriot)
July 24, 1927: "The new State fire tower on the brow of the high hill between Wellfleet village and South Wellfleet is going up rapidly, the workmen tenting just at the rear in the woods, seen from the street. We understand Richard Baker of South Wellfleet is to be watchman there." (Hyannis Patriot)
February 16, 1928: "Regarding Wellfleet's share toward the purchase price of the Forest Fire Observation Tower placed last summer in the South part of the town on state highway's edge, attention was called to the reason this town, among those benefiting by its being erected, was asked to contribute more toward its purchase price. The town having the tower within its boundaries would necessarily receive the quickest and best results from its observations in times of fires. Also Richard Baker, fire tower guardian and observer during the months it is open and in service, stated in the meeting that in less than three months last season more than two thousand visitors has registered in the book kept at the towers' top, from all parts of the country. One can really see what advertisement of our wonderful panoramic scenery it received from the height of the tower, and what it does those away in telling of the Cape''s beauties and charm." (Hyannis Patriot)
April 5, 1928: "We note the flag flying at the Wellfleet Fire Tower beginning with the month of April, the year's first fire menace month, as regarded by the Commonwealth. Richard Baker is observer in the tower for the season, and was last year, its first year in this place for lower Cape." (The Barnstable Patriot)
January 31, 1942: "During the past summer 4,282 visitors from 41 states and 12 foreign nations climbed the forest fire observation tower to view the lower Cape Cod panorama, forestry officials report." (The Brainerd Daily Dispatch - Minnesota)
1960: A 70-foot steel tower with a 10x10 wood cab was erected to replace the earlier structure.