1910: Listed as a lookout station in the 1910 Report of the Forest Commissioner.
August 13, 1914: "The Maine forest fire district has completed a 41-foot steel fire look-out on the top of Lead Mountain." (Christian Science Monitor)
1914: "There has been a telephone line built from Machias Main River on the Air Line road west as far as Beddington and then up Lead Mountain to the new steel lookout which has recently been built there." "In this district we have erected a new thirty-six foot steel tower on Lead Mountain, No. 28, and constructed five and one-half miles of telephone line connecting the tower with Cherryfield and Machias." (1914 Forest Commissioner's Report)
1919: "The lookout stations opened earlier than usual. Lead Mt., in Hancock County, was opened April 14th, and the first fire of the season was discovered by this station on April 20th." (Forest Protection and Conservation in Maine, 1919)