March 8, 1926: "Those who claim to know, say the view obtained from this tower is one of the best in the state. For an unbroken expanse of wooded landscape, this view is unsurpassed. From Snow Shoe towards the southwest to the Bald Eagle mountain below Jersey Shore, one can scarcely find an open field. The tower takes its name from a large coffin-shaped rock in the vicinity of the tower. It overlooks the Tangascootic creek and the Scootuc country, and the scene of extensive coal and clay operations. Evidence of these operations are still visible on the ground. The tower is best reached from Renovo by taking the mountain road, which leaves the township road just west of Pete's run, and continuing on to the forks of the Beech Creek and Snow Shoe roads. At this point signs will direct one to the tower, which can be reached by auto. This sixty-foot tower was built in 1921 and stands at a ground elevation of 2,325 feet, according to the United States geological survey. It the tourist wishes to avoid a descent to the streams north of south of the tower, he had better bring his drinking water with him." (Lock Haven Express)
June 1, 1939:The tower at Coffin Rocks has been raised in height from sixty feet to eighty-six feet. (The Wellsboro Agitator)
1985: Lookout destroyed in a tornado.
1987: A 93-foot Aermotor steel tower erected, includes wrap around catwalk.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - COFFIN ROCKS LOOKOUT TOWER PID - LZ1784 STATE/COUNTY- PA/CLINTON COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - SNOW SHOE NE (2019)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1958 (WER) STATION IS THE APPROXIMATE CENTER OF THE BASE OF LOOKOUT TOWER WHICH IS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 10.0 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF RENOVA. THE TOWER IS A 4-LEGGED STEEL STRUCTURE SUPPORTING A SQUARE METAL CABIN AND IS ABOUT 80 FEET IN HEIGHT OVERALL. A TRAVERSE CONNECTION WAS MADE TO TRIANGULATION STATION BENJAMIN 1933, DISTANCE BEING 39.50 FEET (12.040 METERS) SOUTH OF STATION BENJAMIN 1933. NOTE- THIS LOOKOUT TOWER WAS CALLED FIRE TOWER-COFFIN ROCKS NO. X-20 IN 1933. CENTER OF TOWER WAS OBSERVED ON AND MEASURED IN 1933 AND THE DIRECTION AND MEASUREMENT CHECKED BY THIS PARTY. SINCE NO OLD POSITION OF THIS TOWER CAN BE FOUND, A POSITION WAS COMPUTED THIS YEAR AND THE NAME CHANGED TO COFFIN ROCKS LOOKOUT TOWER, SINCE THIS IS THE NAME THE TOWER IS KNOWN AS NOW.