October 3, 1957: "A new steel forest fire lookout tower, recently put up near Charleston by the Kentucky Division of Forestry, is now ready for use according to District Forester Richard Zweig, Madisonville. The tower will be known as the Charleston Tower and is located just west of that community on the Niles Ford road, about three miles north of here. It is 60 feet high and will serve an area of about 125,000 acres lying mainly in Hopkins County, but also including Caldwell and Christian Counties. Construction was under supervision of Ranger M. L. Brandon, Dawson Springs, who was assisted by J. E. Ward and Charlie Snarber, fire guards respectively of Muhlenberg and Christian Counties, and Charles Lyons and Guy Oliver, forest fire control assistants. The State Highway Department aided in preparing the short road to the tower. The Charleston Tower replaces the old wooden structure formerly located east of Beulah on Highway 70. The new tower id twenty feet higher and consequently can provide fire protection for a larger area than did the old tower." (The Dawson Springs Progress)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - CHARLESTON LOOKOUT TOWER 1962 PID - HA1636 STATE/COUNTY- KY/HOPKINS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - DAWSON SPRINGS (1968)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1962 (VBM) THE STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE BASE OF THE TOWER, LOCATED ABOUT 3 1/2 MILES NORTH OF DAWSON SPRINGS AND 1-1/4 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF CHARLESTON. IT IS A FOUR LEGGED SELF SUPPORTING STEEL STRUCTURE WITH AN OBSERVATION ROOM AT ITS TOP AND IS PAINTED GRAY. THE OVERALL HEIGHT IS ABOUT 60 FEET.
TO REACH FROM THE PUBLIC SCHOOL IN CHARLESTON, GO SOUTH ON STATE HIGHWAY 109 FOR 0.35 MILE TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT. TURN RIGHT AND GO WESTERLY ON A PAVED ROAD FOR 1.0 MILE TO A GRAVELED DRIVEWAY RIGHT. TURN RIGHT AND GO NORTHEAST ON THE DRIVEWAY FOR 0.05 MILE TO THE LOOKOUT TOWER.