c.1932: A new lookout site was selected on Mount Alice. (Biennial Report of the Commissioner of Forestry)
1932: "A 40-foot tower with glass enclosed octagonal top is nearing completion on Bear Hill." (3rd Biennial Report of the Commissioner of Forestry)
June 1938: "Rebuilt cab of tower to facilitate fire detection. Repaired telephone line so that it works efficiently. Improved trail. Painted tower. Completed details of work so that this station could be manned by a lookout watchman. Installed map stand and fire detection map with alidade." (Fire Control Work, During Period July 1, 1936, to June 30, 1938. "Report of the Department of Conservation and Development" State of Vermont)
1940: "The fire tower on Bear Hill was tipped up on two legs by the hurricane and only the guy cables prevented its blowing over. Damage to the tower has been repaired as well as possible. The old telephone line to the fire tower was so badly damaged at the time of the hurricane that it has been replaced by a new line strung on the same poles as the power line. The power line has been completed. The new quarters for the lookout and caretaker have been completed." (Report of the Department of Conservation and Development, term ending June 30, 1940)
1943: "During the fiscal year 1943 new standard cabin for the lookout watchman was constructed at Mount Alice." (Report, Department of Conservation and Development, term ending June 30, 1944)
1947 - 1948: "The old wooden tower was struck by lightning and destroyed by the resulting fire. A new tower has been completed with the base of a steel tower and a wooden cab on top. It makes a very satisfactory lookout station. Considerable brushing and repair work has been done on the telephone line. The lookout's cabin has been painted inside and out." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service 1947 - 1948)
1949 - 1950: "Repaired windows in tower cabin. Painted stair treads and cabin." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1955 - 1956: "The wooden tower, because of its unsafe condition, was razed in 1955. The steel tower from Gilson Mountain was erected in its place in the spring of 1956. The telephones were converted to dial in 1955." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - BEAR HILL LOT 1969 PID - PG1673 STATE/COUNTY- VT/ORANGE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - ROXBURY (1983)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1969 (WMJ) THE STATION IS ABOUT 7.5 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF NORTHFIELD, 7.5 MILES NORTH-NORTHWEST OF RANDOLPH CENTER AND ON BEAR HILL.
THE STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE BASE OF THE LOOKOUT TOWER. THE TOWER IS A 4 LEGGED STEEL STRUCTURE ABOUT 60 FEET IN OVERALL HEIGHT.