1936: A 110-foot steel tower with a 7 x 7 cab was erected.
May 19, 1977: "One of the last of a dying breed will soon be gone from the skyline of the Ottawa National Forest. The Matchwood Lookout Tower, victim of more modern types of fire detection such as use of airplanes, will be dismantled. Since 1936, the 110-foot steel structure has stood guard over the Marenisco Township landscape, a reminder of the romantic, yet lonely life of the fire tower ranger. The Forest Service hopes to retain the 7 x 7 foot cab, the little 'house' atop the tower wherte fire dection equipment is kept, and approximately 20 feet of the steel framework, according to Ottawa National Forest Property Management Officer, Dave Evans. This 'mini-tower' will be moved to the Sylvania Visitors Center to be an exhibit of early methods of fire detection. The remaining steel framework will be offered for sale. People who are interested in bidding on the Matchwood Lookout Tower should contact the administrative officer at the Forest Supervisor's Office in Ironwood, Michigan, or the District Ranger at the Bergland Ranger Station, Bergland, Michigan." (The Wakefield News)