1918: A 35-foot steel tower was purchased and erected. (8th Annual Report of the Conservation Commission)
April 23, 1950: "On Mount Arab George Lavassar of Piercefield will be the lookout, having held the post for about 12 years." (Syracuse Herald Journal)
September 28, 1958: "State police of the Tupper Lake sub-station investigating a case of destructive vandalism reported Sept. 14, cleared up that case Saturday and with it two others. The names of the two Piercefield boys are withheld because of their age, 8 and 10 years. The damage will run into hundreds of dollars. The first complaint on Sept. 14 came from George LaVasseur, Piercefield, fire warden on nearby Mt. Arab who reported that the state-owned observer's cabin on the mountain had been broken into and damaged. Two rifles, an 8-mm Mauser and a single-shot .22, and two revolvers, a P-38 Luger and a .45 Colt, were taken from a gun cabinet, loaded with ammunition found on the premises, and repeatedly fired. In 'shooting up' the cabin the intruders shattered a barometer, thermometer and other equipment and furnishings. They then moved out on the cabin porch and used the fire tower for a target, they ruined the roof." (Advance-News)
August 5, 1998: "A ribbon cutting ceremony and ceremonial hike up Mt. Arab for lunch marked the official start of the restoration of that mountain's fire tower Saturday." (Tupper Lake Free Press)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - ARAB MT LOOKOUT TOWER PID - PH1674 STATE/COUNTY- NY/ST LAWRENCE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD -
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (FBQ) THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS ABOUT 6.25 MILES W OF TUPPER LAKE, 5.5 MILES NNE OF THE HAMLET OF HORSESHOE.
IT IS OF STANDARD TYPE FOUR-LEG STEEL TRUSSWORK CONSTRUCTION. THE POINT LOCATED WAS THE APEX OF THE PYRAMIDAL ROOF.