1936: The 110 foot all steel tower with a 7x7 steel cab was erected by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Living quarters provided consisted of a two room ground cabin. Other on-site features were a garage and outhouse.
June 10, 1936: "The telephone line is being constructed from Ewing to the Kurtz camp and thence to a fire tower at Hickory Ridge near the Monroe and Brown county line. The telephone line will also be extended to the forest ranger's home in Brownstown and thence to the federal nursery in Driftwood." (Jackson County Banner)
September 28, 1944: "A two-way radio system has been installed between the Weed Patch fire tower and the Hickory Ridge fire tower near the Brown-Monroe-Jackson county point." (Brown County Democrat)