In 1926, the Conservation Commission received a request for information regarding its standard fire observation stations from the Taconic Sate Park Commission (TSPC).
The Park Commission felt that a station on Alander Mountain would offer protection not only to Park lands within its jurisdiction, but also to large areas outside the park.
For the summit of Alander, at an elevation of 2240’, the Park Commission purchased a steel fire observation tower in 1927. The structure, a 60’ Aermotor tower, was erected by the Park Commission under the supervision of the Conservation Department in 1928. Three miles of telephone line were constructed to connect the tower with the New York Telephone system. From this tower the entire Taconic Park area, approximately 15 miles long and 1 mile wide, could be closely observed. The Alander Mt. site was located on private lands, per a lease agreement, in the State of Massachusetts, about one quarter of a mile east of the New York border.
The 1930 Annual Report to the NY Legislature showed that this tower reported 24 fires, while under the supervision and operation of the TSPC. Shortly thereafter, the lease agreement was terminated by the landowner, so the Park Commission removed the structure to a storage area on Park Lands where it remained until 1932.The Conservation Department then agreed to accept the transfer of the tower and subsequently erected it close by on Washburn Mt in 1933 and operated it until it was moved to Beebe Hill in 1964, where it remains today, has been restored and is open to the public