1933: A 100-foot steel tower was erected by members of the Houghton Lake Civilian Conservation Camp.
June 13, 1941: "The Houghton Lake South East Fire Tower is being dismantled this week by a crew of eight enrollees from the Houghton Lake CCC camp under the direction of Mr. Emmett Sullivan. The all steel structure 100 feet high, was erected in 1933, also by Houghton Lake enrollees, in a plot known as 'the fruit farm' about fifteen miles east of US-27. A more suitable location, providing the towerman with a better view has since been chosen by the Conservation Department and a new 107 foot tower was erected on that site last summer. On a clear day the buildings of West Branch, a distance of about 20 miles, are visible from this new tower." (Clare Sentinel)