June 8, 1945: "The Long Island State Park Commission announces that improvements will be made by the Conservation Department in the facilities for the prevention, detection and control of forest and brush fires on Long Island. These improvements were decided on after a recent inspection by executives of the Long Island State Park Commission and William G. Howard, Superintendent of Lands and Forests, representing Conservation Commissioner Perry B. Duryea. The proposed improvements include a new fire tower to be erected in the vicinity of Bay Shore." (Suffolk County News)
October 1959: In an effort to cut costs the state abandoned the lookout services. The title was transferred to Suffolk County for future protection plans.