August 31, 1921: "The Keffers tower, the first one to be erected by the state in this section for the prevention of forest fires, is rapidly nearing completion." (Pottsville Republican)
October 29, 1926: "With the fall forest fire season approaching, the State Forestry Department has placed its force in the field and all towers are now being manned daily. Miss Verna Rightler being placed in charge of Keffer's tower." (The Wilkes-Barre Record)
November 20, 1931: "In order to be of more assistance to aviators in their flights over the Pennsylvania Mountains, the State is having all fire towers painted and numbered. Keffers Tower is numbered 913." (The West Schuykill Press and Pine Grove Herald)
October 17, 1941: "The State forest observation tower at Keffers will shortly be placed in use as an air interceptor tower in conjunction with the operation of the local air tower on the western end of Sharp Mountain for airplane warning purposes, it was announced by District Forester S. L. Kurtz. The Keffers' tower will be equipped and manned by members of the Brennan-Keip Post No. 384, American Legion, Tremont." (West Schuykill Herald)
September 13, 1946: "The Tremont Young Men's Club will hold a picnic at Keffer's Tower on Sunday. Refreshments will be served." (Harrisburg Telegraph)
April 5, 1957: "James Gilger has been assigned to fire watch duty at the Keffers Fire Tower in the Weiser District of the Department of Forests and Waters." (The West Schuykill Press and Pine Grove Herald)
September 18, 2015: "Disassemble the Keffer's fire lookout tower in its entirety so it can be reassembled. Work must be done by November 6, 2015." (www.pennsylvaniabids.com)
The NGS Data Sheet
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (JB) KEFFER IS A FIRST ORDER STATION LOCATED 0.5 MILE S OF KEFFER, PA., 30.286 METERS E OF THE KEFFER FIRE TOWER, 4.58 METERS (15.0 FEET) S OF THE WATER RESERVOIR OF THE PHILADELPHIA AND READING COAL AND IRON COMPANY, 6 METERS (20 FEET) N OF THE RANGERS CABIN.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM BROOKSIDE, PA., GO E ON HIGHWAY 209 TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN 5 MILES TO A T-ROAD RIGHT AND A LARGE SIGN PENNSYLVANIA FOREST FIRE TOWER AND AN ARROW. TURN RIGHT AND GO 0.5 MILE (TAKING ALL LEFT TURNS) TO THE FIRE TOWER AND STATION KEFFER.