1938-40: "New steel tower with glass enclosed cab was constructed by the CCC on Monadnock Mountain." (Report, Department of Conservation and Development, term ending June 30, 1940)
1940-42: "The light copper roofs furnished for the towers at Ascutney, Burke and Monadnock were so light that they blew off. They were replaced with galvanized iron." (Report, Department of Conservation and Development, term ending June 30, 1942)
1947-48: "Stairs and tower landings completely renewed and stained." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1949-50: "New map installed in tower. 750 feet metallic, slack, tree line constructed. Renewed tower stair treads and landings and painted. New tower marker installed at Route 102." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1951-52: "Tower stairs, landings and cab floor painted. One half mile slack tree line constructed. New shutters constructed for all camp windows." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1953-54: "The gradual discontinuance of secondary lookout towers and the expanding use of planes on fire detection patrol continues. During the biennium the fire lookout towers at Gile Mountain in Norwich and Monadnock Mountain in Lemington have been discontinued although they could again be put in commission if needed." "Constructed 2 1/4 miles, pole and tree line, metallic circuit. Floor in camp given coat of penetrating finish (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1957-58: "The lookout facilities at the secondary stations of Ascutney, Gile. Glastenbury and Monadnock Mountains were continued on an inactive basis with the areas being covered in hazardous weather by flights of the plane patrol." (Biennial Report of the Vermont Forest Service)
1961-62: "The Monadnock Mountain fire tower and cabin, located on lands in the town of Lemington leased from the St. Regis Paper Company, have not been manned for nearly ten years. This lookout provided only secondary coverage and it was found to be cheaper to cover the area by plane patrol than to man the station. In 1961 the lease was terminated and the structures sold to the St. Regis Paper Company. They plan to maintain the cabin and tower on a standby basis to provide additional protection in times of high fire danger." (Biennial Report of the Department of Forests and Parks)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - MONADNOCK USGS 1959 PID - PF1006 STATE/COUNTY- VT/ESSEX COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - MONADNOCK MOUNTAIN (1989)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959 (HRL) STATION IS LOCATED UNDER THE FOREST SERVICE FIRE TOWER AT THE SUMMIT OF MONADNOCK MOUNTAIN WHICH IS ABOUT 2-1/2 MILES WEST OF COLEBROOK NEW HAMPSHIRE. STATION, A STANDARD DISK SET IN A DRILLHOLE IN OUTCROPPING ROCK AND STAMPED MONADNOCK 1959 IS 5.8 FEET NORTH OF THE STEPS OF FIRE TOWER, 10-1/2 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE SOUTHWEST LEG OF FIRE TOWER AND 10.3 FEET SOUTH OF THE NORTHEAST LEG OF FIRE TOWER. THE MARK IS SET FLUSH WITH THE ROCK.
TO REACH FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY NO. 3 AND STATE HIGHWAY NO. 26 IN COLEBROOK, GO WESTERLY ON STATE HIGHWAY NO. 26 FOR 0.7 MILE TO BRIDGE OVER CONNECTICUT RIVER. CONTINUE WESTERLY FOR 0.05 MILE TO T INTERSECTION AND RED HOUSE ON WEST SIDE OF ROAD. TURN LEFT AND GO SOUTHERLY ON SURFACED ROAD FOR 0.05 MILE TO FIELD ROAD RIGHT AT SOUTH SIDE OF SECOND HOUSE FROM T INTERSECTION. (THIS HOUSE IS PAINTED TAN WITH BROWN TRIM. TURN RIGHT AND GO WESTERLY ON FIELD ROAD FOR 0.2 MILE TO SMALL STREAM. CROSS STREAM AND CONTINUE ON FIELD ROAD FOR 0.3 MILE TO A SMALL CLEARING ON LEFT (SOUTH) SIDE OF ROAD AND END OF TRUCK TRAVEL. PACK WESTERLY ALONG TRAIL FOR ABOUT 1-1/2 HOURS TO TOP OF MONADNOCK MOUNTAIN AND STATION UNDER FIRE TOWER AS DESCRIBED.
NOTE--THIS STATION WAS OCCUPIED BY MEANS OF A 4 FOOT STAND IN THE CABIN OF FIRE TOWER.