July 9, 1925: "Construction of a 60-foot steel fire observation tower at Jacksonburg, Wetzel county, where 15,000 acres of forest land is under protection of the state is believed to be pending, according to O.O. Nutter of the state forest service. A dwelling for the ranger will be erected at the base of the tower and fifteen miles of telephone line will also be constructed and placed in service." (Charleston Gazette)
October 10, 1926: "Near Smithfield in Wetzel county the Carlin Hill tower has telephone connection with the Pine Grove telephone system which connects with the Clarksburg office at the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company." (Charleston Gazette)
1946: The 80-foot steel tower was dismantled and moved to Caddell Mountain where it was reassembled.