July 11, 1915: "The post on Black Mountain is typical of the majority of stations. The only shelter provided is a small tent and observations are made from a rickety wooden tower which does not tempt the few women visitors who attain the summit of the mountain." (Buffalo Courier)
1918: A 35-foot steel tower was purchased and erected. (8th Annual Report of the Conservation Commission)
1930: A new cabin for the observer's living quarters was constructed. (Twentieth Annual Report of the Conservation Department - 1930)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - BLACK MT FIRE TOWER PID - OD1743 STATE/COUNTY- NY/WASHINGTON COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - SHELVING ROCK (1966)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1943 (PLB) THE STATION IS A COMBINATION AIRWAY BEACON FIRE TOWER, LOCATED 6.5 MILES N AND 3.5 MILES W OF WHITEHALL AND ABOUT 1 MILE SE OF THE SE SHORE OF LAKE CHAMPLAIN ON THE SUMMIT OF BLACK MT. IT IS A FOUR-LEGGED STEEL STRUCTURE ABOUT 50 FT. HIGH WITH A GLASS-ENCLOSED CAB ON TOP AND AN AIRWAY BEACON ON THE APEX OF THE ROOF OF THE CAB. LOCATED TO TRIANGULATION STATION (BLACK USGS) BY DISTANCE AND DIRECTION.