c.1910: A tree observation post, 30 feet above the ground, was established.
1912: "An observatory station was erected on Tussey Mountain along the Pennsylvania Furnace road. The whole of the Diamond Valley range may be seen from this point. It includes all lands south of the summit of Tussey mountain." (Report of the Department of Forestry, 1912-13)
July 1933: "Three new 80-foot forest-fire observation towers have been ordered by George H. Wirt, chief forest fire warden of the Pennsylvania Department of Forests and Waters. One of these will be erected on Tussey Mountain, Huntingdon County, in the Logan State Forest District.." (The Forest Worker)
August 4, 1933: "Not all 'steeplejacks' are employed on skyscrapers in cities. George W. Parsons and R.D. Ewing, forest rangers, are two structural steel workers who rarely see a metropolitan center. They have been erecting steel forest fire observation towers in Pennsylvania for 14 years and have supervised construction of more than 100 towers. Three new 80-foot towers recently were built on Tussey mountain in Huntington county, on Bald mountain in Carbon county and on the Rattlesnake Pike in Center county." (Ogden Standard-Examiner)
September 15, 1938: "Residents east of the village were considerably startled to see a new and brilliant light in the sky one night last week. Eventually as they saw it revolve and change from white to blue to red, their uneasiness was allayed. A new aerial signal light set on top of the fire tower, which rises above the crest of Tussey mountain not far distant from the Liberty concrete road, gives the effect of hanging in the sky." (Altoona Mirror)